Borussia Dortmund vs Lazio – Live Stream Friendly Match
Borussia Dortmund vs Benfica
International Champions Cup
Date: Sunday, 22 July 2018
Kick-Off at 8.05pm ET/2.05+1 CEST/3.05pm BST
Venue: Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.
Borussia Dortmund vs Benfica: Preview and Predictions
Life under Lucien Favre has got off to a rip-roaring start at Dortmund. Austria Vienna, Manchester City and Liverpool have each been swept aside since the Swiss tactician arrived from Nice, to the tune of five goals scored and just one conceded. Pulisic has had a direct hand in all four of Dortmund’s goals at the ICC, meanwhile. The American star earned the penalty which Mario Götze converted in the 1-0 win over Man City, while he netted twice against Liverpool before another shot was parried into Jacob Bruun Larsen’s path to make it 3-1. Marco Reus has joined up with the squad having been granted time to rest following the FIFA World Cup and could feature against Benfica. Abdou Diallo, Achraf Hakimi and Marius Wolf are among the new faces looking to impress, though Thomas Delaney – arriving from Werder Bremen by way of Denmark’s campaign in Russia – is on holiday.
Benfica are the record Portuguese champions with 36 titles to their name, though they had to settle for second last term, finishing seven points behind Porto. Brazil striker Jonas – scorer of 34 goals last year – has made the journey to the USA, though Croatian midfielder Filip Krovinovic has been left behind as he recovers from a torn cruciate ligament.
Dortmund: Boadu, Bochdorn, Bruun Larsen, Burnic, Dahoud, Diallo, Dieckmann, Gomez, Götze, Hakimi, Hitz, Hupe, Isak, Oelschlägel, Philipp, Pieper, Piszczek, Pulisic, Reus, Rode, Sahin, Sancho, Schmelzer, Sechelmann, Toljan, Toprak, Wolf, Zagadou
Absentees: Weigl (groin), Akanji, Bürki, Delaney, Guerreiro, Kagawa (on holiday), Schürrle (permission granted to discuss possible transfer)
Coach: Lucien Favre
Benfica: Almeida, Amaral, Castillo, Cervi, Chiquinho, Chrien, Conti, Dias, Ebuehi, Elhouni, Eliseu, Duarte, Fejsa, Ferreyra, Grimaldo, Jardel, Jonas, Kalaica, Lema, Luisao, Milos, Parks, Pizzi, Ponck, Ribeiro, Salvio, Samaris, Seferovic, Semedo, Silva, Svilar, Varela, Vlachodimos, Willock, Zivkovic
Absentees: Krovinovic (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Rui Vitoria
- Pulisic has had a direct hand in all four of Dortmund’s goals at this year’s ICC, scoring twice and creating two more. He also made the winning goal in their friendly against Austria Vienna.
- The 19-year-old American star already boasts a number of records, including being the youngest foreign-born goalscorer in Bundesliga history and the youngest player to have tallied for the USA in a World Cup qualifier.
- Switzerland goalkeeper Marwin Hitz – signed this summer from Augsburg – is the only Dortmund squad member to have played in all 120 minutes of BVB’s ICC campaign so far.
- Dortmund and Benfica have met four times in competitive competition. Die Schwarzgelbenknocked the Portuguese giants out of the European Cup with a 6-2 aggregate win back in 1963, repeating the trick with a 4-1 aggregate triumph in the UEFA Champions League last 16 in 2017.
- Benfica’s Haris Seferovic is a familiar face for Bundesliga fans. The Switzerland striker scored 16 times in three seasons with Eintracht Frankfurt, with two of those goals coming against Dortmund.
- Jonas is Benfica’s primary goal threat, though. The Brazilian striker scored 34 of the club’s 80 league goals last season.