UFC 223: Khabib Nurmagumedov vs. Al Iaquinta – Live Stream
The event was originally supposed to be headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov (25-0 MMA, 9-0 UFC) vs. Max Holloway (19-3 MMA, 15-3 UFC). However in the midst of the weigh-in window news broke UFC featherweight champ Holloway had been deemed medically unfit to compete on the card by the New York State Athletic Commission.
Immediately thereafter a mad scramble ensued to find a replacement. Former UFC titleholder Anthony Pettis (20-7 MMA, 7-6 UFC) offered his services after his bout with Michael Chiesa was scratched from the card Thursday. However, “Showtime” could only make 155.2 on his first attempt, and then did not weigh in a second time.
In a surprise twist, Paul Felder (15-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) offered his services to step in to fight Nurmagomedov for the 155-pound belt. However, the NYSAC would not approve the fight because Felder is “not ranked.” Felder is scheduled to open the main card against Al Iaquinta (13-3-1 MMA, 8-2 UFC).
Prior to the chaos, UFC strawweight champ Rose Namajunas (7-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and former champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk (14-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) made weight for their rematch without issue.
The early weigh-ins took place at the UFC host hotel in Brooklyn, N.Y., and precede the ceremonial weigh-ins for the fans, which take place at 6 p.m. ET at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The same venue hosts Saturday’s event, which has a main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
The full UFC 223 weigh-in results include:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Al Iaquinta ()* vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov (154.5) – for lightweight title
- Champ Rose Namajunas (114.2) vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk (114) – for women’s strawweight title
- Calvin Kattar (145.4) vs. Renato Moicano (145.6)
- Kyle Bochniak (145.2) vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov (145.8)
- Paul Felder (155) vs. Al Iaquinta (155.2)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Felice Herrig (115.4) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115)
- Chris Gruetzemacher (155) vs. Joe Lauzon (155.4)
- Ashlee Evans-Smith (125.8) vs. Bec Rawlings (125.8)
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier (155) vs. Evan Dunham (155.8)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- Devin Clark (205.2) vs. Michael Rodriguez (203)
* Holloway was not allowed to weigh in after being deemed medically unfit.